Albany & Syracuse Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys
Being charged with a federal crime is a serious matter and a conviction could cost you your freedom along with many of your rights. Because the federal government has unlimited financial resources and teams of highly skilled investigators and prosecutors at its disposal, the odds are stacked against you. By engaging the services of an experienced federal criminal defense attorney, however, it is possible to level the playing field.
The Law Office of Mark J. Sacco has extensive experience defending clients against federal criminal charges throughout the State of New York. As a highly skilled criminal defense attorney, founder Mark Sacco has a proven track record of achieving successful outcomes in federal criminal cases. Mr. Sacco is well versed in the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure and widely recognized for aggressively defending his clients. He routinely represents clients charged in the federal courts throughout the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York.
Types of Federal Crimes
Our legal team handles cases involving a wide range of federal crimes, including but not limited to:
- Drug Crimes – These crimes involve misdemeanor drug possession charges as well as more serious drug trafficking and manufacturing crimes that are classified as felonies.
- Conspiracy – Generally, a conspiracy involves an agreement by two or more people to engage in a crime such as drug trafficking, embezzlement, fraud, and the like, and who also act to commit the crime.
- Racketeering (RICO) Violations – Racketeering occurs when organized groups conduct illegal business dealings (“rackets”) and engage in crimes such as bribery, fraud, embezzlement, extortion, money laundering and others. At the federal level, racketeering charges are prosecuted under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).
- Bank and Securities Fraud – These offenses involve defrauding a bank or other financial institution by submitting false documentation to obtain a loan or achieve other financial gain, or engaging in unlawful securities schemes that harm investors, financial firms and the markets.
- Credit Card Fraud – It is unlawful to use a credit card, any similar form of credit, or credit information, to make purchases, withdraw funds from an account, or otherwise obtain financial gain with the intention of avoiding payment.
- Immigration Crimes – These violations range from illegal entry into the United States, re-entry after deportation and immigration fraud, to human trafficking, harboring illegal aliens and marriage fraud.
- Internet Crimes – These crimes involve a wide range of illegal activities conducted over the internet such as identity theft, hacking, phishing scams, child pornography and more.
- Firearms and Weapons Charges – These federal offenses are centered on the possession, use, distribution and sale of firearms and other deadly weapons, often charged as a felony.
What are federal sentencing guidelines?
It is important to note that there is a significant difference between state and federal courts, particularly with respect to sentencing. In the federal court system there are statutory sentencing guidelines that establish minimum and mandatory penalties. Because these guidelines are quite broad, judges are given wide latitude when imposing sentences. In addition, federal prosecutors are well-versed in the federal sentencing guidelines and typically seek the harshest possible penalty.
In short, a conviction for a federal crime can result in a lengthy prison sentence, substantial fines and a permanent criminal record, which will make it hard for you to find a job or rent an apartment. In addition, you may forfeit many of your rights including the right to own a firearm, obtain certain professional licenses, qualify for public benefits or even apply for a federal student loan.
If you are under a federal criminal investigation, it is crucial to seek legal representation as soon as possible to best protect your rights and your freedom. Our legal team is equally well versed in the federal sentencing guidelines and the tactics that prosecutors use to push for tough sanctions. In the event of a conviction, we will seek to present evidence of mitigating circumstances to the court and move to obtain a more lenient sentence.
New York Federal Criminal Defense Attorney
The Law Office of Mark J. Sacco routinely provides advice and counsel to clients who are under criminal investigation by federal authorities as well as those who have been named as persons of interest or are being interviewed as witnesses. Over our many years of practice, we have worked diligently to achieve dismissals before trial and won non-guilty verdicts in numerous federal criminal cases. When the odds are stacked against you, you need the superior legal representation that our firm is uniquely qualified to provide. We will design a comprehensive legal defense strategy and fight to preserve your freedom, your rights, and your reputation. Contact the office today to set up a free consultation.